SECTION II SUMMARY
- The services provided by NPs, CNMs, and PAs are of vital importance to the population and to the nationís health care system.
- As key primary care providers for women, APCs are in an especially good position to decrease the risks and consequences of unintended pregnancy, a major national health goal.
- Reintegrating abortion care into primary care, family practice, and comprehensive womenís health care services will increase womenís access to safe, early abortion.
- Numerous studies document that APCs are safe, competent providers of abortion care.
- APCs already routinely perform many procedures that are at least as complex as early aspiration abortion.
- APCs face many barriers in their efforts to integrate abortion care into their practices. However, important advances include expanding training opportunities, legal and regulatory victories, and increasing support within professional associations.